Rountree Realty wishes everyone across of the State of Florida a safe few days while preparing for Hurricane Irma. Please take proper precautions in order to prepare your families and home for the hurricane. Here are a few tips while preparing for a hurricane.
Preparation for a Hurricane
Below is a checklist of a few things to consider while preparing.
- Have an evacuation plan and know where the emergency shelters are in your area. Check your local Sheriffs office website or with your local School Board for a list of emergency shelters.
- Put together an emergency supply kit. Make sure you include flashlights, batteries, disinfectant wipes, first aid supplies, non-perishable foods, water, etc.
- Create a family emergency communication plan. Whether your family is in one home or several homes have a communication plan. There are also several local alert systems for emergency notifications.
- Turn your refrigerator and freezer to the coldest setting possible. That away if you loose power your food will be as cold as possible to last longer while you’re without power.
- Try to keep all cell phones fully charged and use as minimal as possible. Adjust phone settings such as apps, usage, display settings, etc. to help keep your phone charged as long as possible.
- Secure all loose items on the exterior of your home such as patio furniture, rain gutters, tree limbs and overgrown bushes, etc.
- Keep your vehicles gas level as full as possible. Also check fluid levels as well as tire pressure to make sure you car is ready for travel just in case you need to evacuate with short notice.
After a Hurricane
Here is list of things to do once the hurricane has past.
- Check with local authorities for updates and instructions.
- Check-In with family members to make sure everyone is okay.
- Watch out for power lines down and debris.
- If your property has damage from the hurricane please take photos as soon as possible. Your insurance provider may require photos in order to process a claim.
- If you can do anything to prevent further damage to your property please do so.
We hope you find this information helpful while preparing for Hurricane Irma. We will continue to think about your families in the upcoming days.
Your Rountree Realty Family